Archive for September, 2008

Backgrounds and Minus Signs

Friday, September 5th, 2008

Tracy took a bunch of pictures around the house and made a few new backgrounds for you all. Here’s one of them: Sidewalk. The next update will have a total of 5 backgrounds but I’m still trying to work out what they’ll be.

I also implemented a minus sign. The old “+” button now says “+-“. If you press it once, you’ll add values. If you press it twice, you’ll subtract values.

History Implemented

Thursday, September 4th, 2008

Ahh … I finally figured out how tables, table view controllers, table view delegates, table view data sources, and table view cells all work together. Well, figured it out enough to implement a simple history list as seen on the right.

One of the neat things about tables on the iPhone is that the default style is to have moving section headers. When you scroll the table, the heading for the current section is always visible. For example, in the screenshot, I’ve scrolled down a bit and you can see “5+8+2+8 = 23” is partially obscured. That’s because there are more rolls above. But the section heading “4d8” remains on top so you can always tell where the rolls came from.

Okay, now I’ve got to implement colored dice. That one’s going to be tricky. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s a balance between simplicity and flexibility. It’d be easy to have a control just changed all the dice colors at once. But most people want the ability to mix dice colors. I can do that, but it’s tricky to come up with an elegant way to specify that in the interface. I’ve got some ideas, though…

Dice Locking Implemented

Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008

I spent most of the weekend re-connecting everything to work for multiple boards and fixing a bunch of stuff that broke along the way. But I also managed to implement a new feature: dice locking. I can now tap a die to lock or unlock it. In addition, I can drag it around to move it. Also, I’ve implemented the ability to throw a single die around to re-roll just the one. In the screenshot on the right, you can see the graphics that I’ve added to indicate that two of the dice are locked.

I still need to implement a few more features (dice colors, history, saving settings between sessions) before I submit the app again for update to the iTunes store, but I’m getting closer.