Update: Version 3.10 has just been released which lets you create your own custom backgrounds.
Would you like to roll dice on your iPhone or iPod Touch? Of course you would! That’s why you’re reading this, right? Then you should buy Mach Dice on the iTunes Store by clicking here! What’s Mach Dice? Check out this demo video:
Here’s the original demo video from version 1.0 of Mach Dice:
Got questions or feedback? Try the support page.
Here’s a list of frequently asked questions:
- Why is it called “Mach Dice”? Well, my name is Mach, so “Brian Dice” didn’t seem as appropriate. I would have gone with something more generic like “Dice”, “Dice 3D”, or “Virtual Dice” but those names were already taken. On the plus side, “Mach Dice” is pretty memorable.
- Are updates free? Yes! So if you buy now, you’ll automatically get any updates for free when they’re done.
- What’s this virtual 3D display that I keep hearing about? I make use of the accelerometer and the view frustum to make it look like the display is 3D. It’s kind of like head-tracking, but in reverse. It assumes that your head is stationary and figures out the iPhone (or iPod Touch) orientation with the accelerometer.
- What do non-standard dice (like 7-sided dice) look like? Right now, they’re represented by an icosahedron with question marks all over it.
- What features are you planning on implementing? Egads, there’s a ton of stuff I’d like to do. Here’s a partial list:
- ability to save dice formula presets
- ability to drop min and max dice
- ability to drop dice values above or below a threshold
- better dice formula entry
- better d100 graphics (two d10s or one big fat die? ach, decisions, decisions…)
- open-ended dice
- exploding dice?
customizable diceAvailable in v3.00!
- What’s it been like developing for the iPhone? It’s been great! But if you’re really interested, check out my blog on the home page or subscribe to my RSS feed.
- I love your app but I don’t have an iPhone or iPod Touch, can you port it to another device? Aww, thanks, but I don’t have any plans to port Mach Dice to any other platforms. I’ve got my hands full just developing for the iPhone.
- Have you created any other apps for the iPhone? As a matter of fact, I have! Just check out the rounded buttons on the right. There’s Holograms, which lets you turn your pictures into virtual holograms. And there’s Boom Dice, a fun little multiplayer game with exploding dice!
And in case you haven’t seen this yet, here’s the blurb on the application that’s on the iTunes Store, which lists current features:
Roll dice on your iPhone or iPod Touch! This app features animating 3D dice rolling on screen and uses the accelerometer to simulate an actual 3D view. You can use it anywhere, even in places where dice rolling is inconvenient: In a car (not while driving)! On a plane (not while piloting)! In the bathroom! Well, you get the idea.
- Animated 3D dice that actually roll around on screen!
- Tilt the device to view the dice from different angles!
- Shake the device (or press a button) to start rolling
- Hear the dice roll
- Automatically adds up your dice totals
- 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 20 sided dice are available
- Specify dice with formulas like “3d6” (for three 6-sided dice) and “2d4 + 1d8” (for two 4-sided dice and one 8-sided die)
- Roll up to 100 dice at once
- Start with a different random seed each time
And here’s a video of one of the latest features, an in-app purchase to let you create your own dice!